22 August 2011

The homeless Catwoman

The high ceiling & huge white bricks make it difficult to recognise it as a high school. It looks more like the white house than Hartley High.
Without paying any attention to the beautiful building facing us, J and I are laying on the soft green grass, studying. The sun is high but neither blinding nor burning, it's a perfect weather.
We are so focused, we don't see O rushing to us. I only lift my head when I hear her calling my name. "Come here" she repeats, spreading her arms as she's trying to fly off.
As I stand up, I see in the corner of my eye, a dark haired man crawling in my back, trying to steal my phone from my bag. I stand up, shoosh him away and start arguing with my old friend. "It’s always the same with you", I shout, my face burning with anger, "you just want people to look at you, think you are the best! Get a grip, get a life and stop worrying about what others think!”
Her face twist and the pride turns into long and desperate tears. "It's true" she weakly says. For some reasons (the main one being: I am a Masochist) I decide to do something for her. I walk up the long and silent corridors to the second floor; push the first door on my way and climb on the window sill. Surely, I sit on it (1). Slowly, I stand up and start screaming her name. She had followed me. I can't see her eyes but I can feel them on my back. "O, I am going to jump for you" I start screaming.  People start to chant her name. I turn to her, see the regret in her eyes, bend backward and fall to my death.
Somehow, I have fallen in a small back room. It's dark here, and has a warehouse kind of atmosphere. Nobody will come to find me, they think I am dead. Which I am. Or at least, until a little brown cat comes toward me and starts licking my fingers. It somehow wakes me up. I feel a bit groggy but my body’s fine. I leave by the back door and make my way toward the exit, first avoiding a camera then a man who doesn’t know me.
I walk up the American style, large main road to the furthest part of town and turn right in a quiet street. Houses built on rows of empty shops are falling apart. Nobody seems to live here. The slim blond girl from the agency's standing outside the house. She's not so keen on being here, even less on coming in but she has too. Her suit looks brighter standing next to the long leather jacket of the homeless looking man standing next to her. I've known him for a long time, the same has happened to him. The tour's quick. Nothing is covering the floor, there are no furniture. Nothing is covering the walls, there is no decoration. We don't care, we only need the basic. She soon comes back outside and point to a big black stain over the door. Bits of wall are falling. Regardless, this is the house we want and so, we move to the little white house.

(1) I am so scared of height I can hardly stand on a tool. No way on Earth, I’d climb a window sill!

No comments:

Post a Comment