18 March 2010

Made of Stone and Iron



 My feet in the water, I have been over looking London for many years. I can hardly feel the cold and brown water of the Thames splashing against my skin. But I can see the wounds it leaves on me. 
I am getting old but I am still strong and beautiful. People come from all around the world to see me and my sisters. Everyday, they come to me. Some are curious and ask me many questions, some just want to look at the wonder I have become. Some are scared.
I have seen a girl coming to me many times. She is scared of me even though she says she loves me. I keep on telling her how strong I am but she can't help it. She looks at me for hours, she says I calm her down. But she can't come to me. It saddens me. I wish she could come closer. Touch me, learn about me. Most people don't look at me anymore. They see me but they don't look. She does. She talks to me.
I have so many stories I would tell her if I could. Hours I would spend talking about it. Kings, Queens, stars, I've seen them all; and riots and murders; I've even seen a whale!
All those years I've been watching the city change. The buildings, the streets, the people. Good or bad I couldn't tell. Somehow it seems to be always the same. History repeating as they say...
A boat comes toward me, the waves are more intense. Sometimes, when a storm comes, they tickle my waist. I lift up my arms, waving at the passengers taking pictures. It takes a lot of my strength but it keeps my old bones from rusting. As I am Made Of Stone and Iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment